Thursday, 20 September 2012

Cost effective jewellery cleaning!

This isn't something that I intended to feature on my blog. However, whilst cleaning my jewellery today I thought I would share this little tip with you :)

On the market today, there are so many jewellery cleaners on offer and to be honest I have never bought one of them. I just find you are able to clean your own jewellery in your own way and get much better results!

To create my own cleaner, I use a tiny  amount of washing up liquid, some disenfectant and some boiling water. The small amount of washing up liquid helps to clean the gold making it shiny and add sparkle and shine to diamonds. The use of the disenfectant and hot water is to sterilise things such as earrings ensuring that they are properly cleaned and any bacteria that is living on them is killed - after all, it is important to keep earrings very clean!

The items used don't have to be expensive. You don't have to use an expensive washing up liquid or disenfectant - you can use a supermarkets own brand if you wish! You probably won't even have to go out and buy any of the products because they're everyday household essentials; most people have washing up liquid and disenfectant in their kitchen cupboard!

The amount of time you soak your jewellery for is completely up to you and you can leave them over night or for 10 minutes :) Depending on how dirty your jewellery is/how shiny you want it will determine how long you soak it for :) I like to soak mine for quite a while and leave it in for around an hour or sometimes for longer. After soaking it in the washing up liquid, disenfectant and hot water I like to take the jewellery out and soak it again - this time just using boiling water! I find that this further cleans it and is amazing for cleaning earrings! This is going to sound a little discusting, but the amount of stuff this draws from them is shocking; it really does give them a thorough clean.

You may be thinking to yourself *Elysia you said that this post was about cost effective jewellery cleaning but all you have told us so far is how to do the cleaning*. Well my gorgeous little blog readers below are some pictures of the jewellery after I finished cleaning it ... I am very sorry that I didn't get a picture of the jewellery before hand. However, you can see from the pictures how sparkly it has become :D

              The jewellery being soaked in the washing up liquid, disenfectant and boiling water.

                                The jewellery being soaked in the disenfectant and boiling water.

My clean jewellery! As you can see the gold looks amazing, the diamonds are shining and the earrings look perfectly clean!


What do you think of my cheap yet very effective jewellery cleaning method? Is this something you would try or do you prefer to use a specific gold/silver cleaner? Would you like to see a feature on how I clean my silver Pandora jewellery?

I hope you're all having a wonderful evening and tomorrow is Friday which means that is isn't long until the weekend - wooo!!
                                                    Lots of love, Elysia xxxxxxxxx
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your blog! Make sure you check out my giveaway on my page, Love B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) Thank you so much for your kind comment! I like to know people are enjoying reading and it's really nice to hear nice comments; considering my blog is new! Hope you continue to enjoy reading and I will subscribe to you. Elysia xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks very helpful!!
    Sarah Payne @
    http://sarahsnailstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to be of help :) It's something I have done for a while so I thought I would share it with my blog readers :) I will subscribe to you, hope your weekend has been wonderful; Elysia xxx

    ReplyDelete