Monday, 18 February 2013

Rihanna for River Island - My Thoughts.

Before I start writing the main content of this post I'd just like to thank everyone for all of the birthday wishes yesterday. I had a lovely day relaxing with family and just really enjoyed 'chilling out'. I was given two gorgeous bottles of perfume and my main present was money as I am planning on getting an iPhone 5 and there are a few other bits and bobs that I have my eye on. Therefore, I don't think there will be a birthday haul post and instead I will just do a combined one showing what I got with my own money and birthday money.

On Saturday night I noticed Twitter was filled with people posting about Rihanna for River Island and the fashion show being shown live from London Fashion Week. I have to admit, I'm not a slave to fashion and London Fahion Week hasn't got me as excited as it has some bloggers (hence why I'm a beauty blogger and not a fashion blogger). Of course, I have some interest in fashion but it isn't my main interest in life. There has been such a buzz about London Fashion Week and I have to admit that yes it does look amazing but I'm not desperate to go.

I heard about the Rihanna for River Island clothing line a while ago and instantly thought to myself *dear god, it's going to be awful*. Don't get me wrong, I like Rihanna's music; I just don't particularly like her as a person. I don't intent to sound as though I am hating on her but I just don't like the personality of Rihanna. I think that her whole 'thug life' attitude is setting a bad example for the younger girls and boys who look up to her as their idol. I did in fact follow her on Instagram for a week or two but I couldn't stand the half naked and drugged up pictures that she posted so I simply had to unfollow.

It's safe to say that when I found out about her clothing collection I expected very little of it - little fabric! I expected it to be very skimpy, barely there, completely Rihanna's style and completely not to my taste what so ever ... I was, as I predicted, correct and disliked the collection.

It's pretty evident that I am not a fashion blogger (because I have never done a fashion blog post before) so this feature might do down well or it may go down like a lead balloon with my readers. However, as soon as I discovered that the fashion show was being streamed live I wanted to watch to see if my predictions were correct about the collection. I also thought it might be worth giving the show a little watch because I might actually have been surprised and unexpectedly love the collection ... I didn't, I was correct all along.

The Rihanna for River Island fashion show was streamed live from London Fashion Week over the River Island Facebook page and therefore it was free to watch. It was scheduled to start at 8:30pm and didn't actually start until 9:45pm. The fashion show was supposedly running 'fashionably late' but actually it was just running damn late and taking the utter mick. To me fashionably late is around 30 minutes; not the length of time we waited.

When the show started it was very .... trashy? The collection was full of thigh high slits, cropped tops, short dresses and was very Rihanna. There were also nipples galore and to be honest it was really off putting. The who whole collection had a very 90's feel about it and as you can probably guess I just didn't like it one little bit.


(I told you it was nipples galore. Hardly necessary!)

I know that some people out there will love this collection but it really isn't to my taste what so ever. The collection was exactly what I expected it to be and I just hated it. I did think that Rihanna would have catered for her younger fans and also for those of all different shapes and sizes; but with this collection it seems as though you need to be no bigger than a size 10! I know for a fact that I would not feel comfortable wearing some of these items of clothing and I sincerely hope that younger girls don't take inspiration from this collection.

 I'd love to know what you thought of the Rihanna for River Island collection. Did you like it or are you not a fan? Were you like me and expected the collection to be like it is?
 

Twitter: @PurpleElll
YouTube: PamperMeToPerfection
Instagram: Elysia_JW



18 comments:

  1. I never watched it but when rhiannas clothing style pops into your mind you think loud and vagarious. Not plain and very simple like this! bit of shame really it could of been amazing :(

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her clothing line was everything I expected it to be and I wasn't surprised by it one little bit! I don't think I will be buying anything from this line. However, I know a lot of people will be as she has a huge fan base. It's a shame really, she's such a bad role model xxx

      Delete
  2. I wasn't overly wowed by it! I bet it'll still sell out though!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was everything I expected it to be. Of course it will sell out, so many people idolise her but she's just glorifying everything that's wrong with this world xxx

      Delete
  3. I don't find it particularly skimpy, but I really dislike the pieces. I find almost everything to be very ugly :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't manage to get screen shots of everything but some of the pieces were a little bit *woah* - particularly the red swimsuit/leotard (I'm not overly sure what it was)! I agree 100% I dislike the pieces and they are exceptionally ugly xxx

      Delete
  4. This was awful, my opinion on Rihanna is exactly the same as yours, her whole thug life thing she's got going on is ridiculous!! She's corrupting the world with sex and little clothes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my opinion is shared with a lot of people! So many people view her as being a bad role model and it's so so true! It's as though she's glorifying 'thug life' - especially with the drugs and half naked Imstagram photos she posts! It's a shame because a lot of young boys and girls look up to her and with this collection I feel as though its basically her style being sold in River Island. I won't be buying anything that's for sure! xxx

      Delete
  5. I don't think you're alone--I saw nothing but hate for the collection on Twitter! I think her look has gotten very vulgar and icky--her clothes never look like they fit properly and the nipples, ugh! What's wrong with looking classy?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people hate the collection and Twitter was most definitely on fire with the hate comments! I quickly googled the collection this morning and even the press are hating the collection - it truly is awful! It's true, she has become vulgar over time. However, she does often look very understated and natural (for example in her new video for 'Stay') and that's when personally I think she looks stunning. Oh I know what was it with those models - it was disgusting!! It's as though she's telling the girls who look up to her that they have to walk around wearing her awful clothing and showing themselves. She's so corrupting!! xxx

      Delete
  6. I felt exactly the same on the collection, i hated it. I honestly thought that she would of made something different and more 'fashionable and wearable' i can just see theses are clothes that Rihanna would wear on tour. They didn't even look like that good of quality to be honest. As you said in the post a lot of her fans are teenage girls and you can just imagine what all these young girls will be wearing now 'Nothing' by the looks of things. Great post by the way :)

    Leigh xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's what they reminded me of her barely there your clothes and I dread seeing her young teenage fans wearing these. It will be uncomfortable. I know I won't be wearing anything from this collection. I 100% agree with everything you said in your comment. Thank you, I, glad you enjoyed the post :) xxx

      Delete
  7. I wasn't overly impressed either, their was the old nice piece but generally not great and your so right to many nips on show!! I found you through the #bbloggers twitter chat

    Lazy2lovely.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found things to be very 'ghetto' and exactly how Rihanna dresses. Although its not to my taste, I am pretty sure that others (especially her loyal fans) will be anticipating this coming into store and online in March. The models and their nipples were awfully of putting, it made for very uncomfortable watching!!
      Ah I'm glad you found me through #bbloggers :) xxx

      Delete
  8. i thought it was trashy :/ its not wearable clothes, and thats i dont like about a lot of fashion shows, i like stuff to be more available and easy to wear than they make it x x x
    loralovessequincoats.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was major Rihanna and also reminded me of Rita Ora (I hate the way both these girls dress) so the collection was everything I expected it to be :/ I won't be wearing anything from the collection and I don't think it's wearable for everybody. You have to be VERY comfortable with your body and flashing the flesh - maybe girls over a size 12 will be shying away from this?! Such a shame really, it would have been nice to see a stunning, wearable collection and one suitable for all shapes sizes/occasions xxx

      Delete
  9. Yeah I definitely agree with you. Rihanna does not set the most perfect example to the millions of teenagers who attempt to follow in her footsteps.. however I actually feel like Rihanna's style is very catered for her and she pulls it off well but she had said in an interview she tried to make her collection wearable for all shapes and sizes, but I feel her range is unwearable for anyone and in many cultures is would be frowned upon tbh!

    http://kumbear-xo.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with what you're saying! Although she is most probably THE worst role model for going girls out there she does wear the style well and it doesn't look odd on her. However, I still hate her 'thug life' persona - just as I dislike Rita Ora for the same reason!! This collection isn't wearable and I knew it would be very Rihanna so I had very sceptical and judgemental view on what this would be like - my instinct was right xxx

      Delete