Wednesday, 28 August 2013

YSL Sheer Candy '#3 Grapefruit' - Review

Hello beauty fanatics, I hope you're all doing well! I've been sat with my foot up for 2 days now on rest as I have done some damage to it! I can't believe I had an accident on Monday when I'm going back to London on Saturday, it's just my luck. I haven't quite broken my toe but I have a fair bit of bruising on the side of my foot and between my pinky toe and the 4th toe. I also have my foot strapped up in a lovely white bandage and hobble along at the pace of a slow coach - its very attractive!! I'm quite clearly joking... Anyway, whilst I have been sat with my foot up resting, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to do a review for you all on one of my favourite lip products ever! 

Lately, I have been loving the minimal makeup look and have therefore been favouring a base that isn't as full coverage as my current foundation which is MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NW10. I am sick of having a foundation that is super matte and is the wrong shade for me. I have such a hard time when it comes to MAC and foundations in general! NW or NC15 are far too dark and yellow/orange based for me whereas NW10 is ever so slightly too pink! I know, its a nightmare finding the perfect match. I thought that it was time to step away from the MAC foundation and instead I have been using and have fallen back in love with my old All in one Face Base from the Body Shop! I don't actually know why I stopped using it anyway because the finish is great, it lasts well on the face and I can get a good colour match. I love my Sheer Candy's and this shade is perfect for minimal makeup.

I have never really been a fan of wearing lipstick because I just feel that it doesn't suit me. I worry that wearing lipstick draws unnecessary attention to my lips and the fact that I suffer from eczema on my lips means that the product just clings to my dry patches and looks awful. I picked up my first ever Sheer Candy in June (you can see the first impressions post that I did on it here) and ever since I have bought three more!


'#3 Grapefruit' cannot be described as a lipstick but instead only as a balm. There is virtually no colour pay off and instead this product only provides a glossy finish. I know that this is something many people wouldn't like but personally this is what I love about this product. In the bullet, there are small flecks of shimmer but that doesn't properly translate onto the lips and instead this just adds to the shimmer of the balm.



The packaging of this product is super luxurious and it actually feels really rather heavy. I love that the casing is silver and the middle section is gold showing the intricate YSL detailing. I also like the fact that behind the middle section of the product you can see the colour of it. This is a really helpful design feature as you can easily identify what colour you want and pick it out from your lipstick collection. 


This balm smells of mango and actually smells good enough to eat. The consistency is really nice and leaves your lips feeling super hydrated. As I said earlier, I have pretty problematic lips and I find this this nourishes them amazingly well. You can either wear this on it's own as a lip balm or apply it as a base coat and then apply something else on top of it. I have worn it in both ways and it has provided moisture for a really nice length of time. Often I find that lip balms can be and can feel rather greasy but because this is a lipstick/lip balm it doesn't feel greasy at all. The formula is amazing. 

Although '#3 Grapefruit' is priced at £24.50 and can be described as virtually being a lip balm, I absolutely love it. I wear this shade all of the time during the day and sometimes apply a good layer before going to bed. When I wear this product overnight I always wake up with baby soft lips and they feel significantly more nourished than they did before applying this. I don't mind the lack of colour payoff because that is what attracted me to #3 but I do own a few more Sheer Candy's (that I shall be reviewing in the near future) and they are all as amazing as each other. 

In June/July there was talk that YSL had decided to discontinue their Sheer Candy line
and once stores had ran out of their stock they wouldn't be replenished. However, I am
glad to report that YSL soon changed their mind and have decided to keep the
Sheer Candy line! Have you tried this products? What do you think of them?

Twitter: @PurpleElll
Instagram: Elysia_JW

10 comments:

  1. i've wanted to try a ysl lipstick for ages! but they are so so expensive! do you think it's worth the money?x

    chloe.beautyy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, personally, the Sheer Candy's are definitely worth it! They're perfect for adding a splash of colour to your face to awaken the complexion. These get a lot of hype in the beauty world. Although this one is colourless, there are some other amazing shades with nice payoff. If you like wearing proper lipsticks, the YSL volupte lipsticks may be good to the a look at :) They're in the same stunning packaging as this lipstick except the casing is gold :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I like this lipstick! :D

    http://prettyandelectric.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is great! I love wearing it on it's own or underneath another coloured balm :) xx

      Delete
  3. Such a Delicious Shade!!
    Following you, Hope you follow back too :D
    xx
    Red Alice
    http://redraoalice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the review, thank you for the follow xx

      Delete
  4. YSL were the first ever lipsticks I tried as my Grandma used to use them YEARS ago! I still love them now, such classics. I love this shade, so pretty!

    Belle x
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet! I love it when a close family member inspires you to start using a particular product or brand. Every time you use it, you think of them! Such a sweet comment xx

      Delete
  5. This looks so luxurious! Not just the packaging but the colour is gorgeous too. I could definitely do with this since I have problem lips like you.

    Lindsey. x
    www.elegant-chaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an amazing lip product and sometimes I apply it before I go to bed to let it soak into my lips and give them some much needed moisture. I always wake up with super soft lips. I definitely recommend #3 as a luxurious balm/sheer gloss xx

      Delete